Meet the new superfood on the block: Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat. It’s loaded with antioxidants, prebiotics, and other immune-activating compounds.
Tartary Buckwheat Pancakes
These pancakes are truly good for you!
That’s because Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat, a gluten-free type of ancient seed, is packed with anti-inflammatory nutrients like quercetin & rutin.
Additional health benefits of Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat, including its influence on blood sugar control, continue to be an important area of research. Check out our favorite Tartary Buckwheat recipe from Mark Hyman & taste for yourself how delicious this superfood really is.
Makes 14, 4-inch pancakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1-½ cups unsweetened almond milk (substitute ¾ cup with seltzer water for a fluffier batter)
- 1 cup Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Super Nutrition Flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp granulated monk fruit sweetener for baking
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp powdered (or fresh grated) ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, almond milk (plus optional seltzer water), vanilla, coconut oil, and monk fruit sweetener. Beat until the eggs are fluffy. Fold in crushed pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix in the Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Super Nutrition Flour and almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Heat a large skillet under medium heat. When the griddle is hot, brush with coconut oil, and then add batter to the griddle and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the pancake and cook for an additional 2 minutes until the crust is crispy.
- Transfer the pancakes to a platter and add blueberries and strawberries for garnish.
Delicious Buckwheat-Banana Bread/Muffins
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Super Nutrition Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe large mashed bananas
- ⅓ cup chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- ½ cup grated coconut
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 1-lb loaf pan with coconut oil, or line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot powder, Himalayan Tartary Buckwheat Super Nutrition Flour, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the maple syrup, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and mashed bananas, mixing well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, a little at a time, stirring after each addition. Be sure there is no flour hiding in the bottom!
- Add the nuts and coconut, stirring just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan or the muffin cups.
- Bake until the edges of the bread are pulling away from the pan and the top is browned, about 45-55 minutes. Muffins will take much less time, about 30 minutes, but check them often.
- Cool before eating.
Tartary Buckwheat Recipes
- What is Tartary Buckwheat?
- Tartary Buckwheat Pie Crust
- Tartary Buckwheat Pancakes
- Tartary Buckwheat Sugar Cookies
- Tartary Buckwheat Chocolate Cookies
Our Currently Featured Recipes
What’s for dinner?
Try some of our favorite summer recipes.
Looking for meals that heal the gut, boost your immune health, and taste great? Try these nourishing recipes!
Our Favorite Detox Recipes
Try a Smoothie Bowl! Here’s our no-fail formula:
- Liquid base: choose one (or a combination) of a dairy-free milk such as
- almond, cashew, coconut or pea milk
- +/- water or ice
- Frozen fruit: ensure that it’s frozen to get that thick consistency and an ice-cold smoothie without ice (which tends to water it down)⠀
- Boosters: pump up the nutrition with add-ins like seeds or greens
- Toppings: Top your smoothie in a bowl with something crunchy, a bit of fresh fruit and a drizzle of your favorite nut butter
If you’re looking for an easy way to get more fruits & vegetables into your daily diet, smoothies & smoothie bowls are a great option.