Stay Hydrated This Summer with These Delicious & Refreshing Alcohol-free Drinks
We all know it's important to stay hydrated, especially in the summertime, but drinking tons of water can get a bit dull. While the requisite lemon wedge is always nice, we’re often left wanting more. Let’s explore some ways you can jazz it up a bit and transform your water from hydration to libation.
Here's a simple formula with some recipes to try:
MUDDLED FRUIT + HERBS + LIQUID BASE + CITRUS + OPTIONAL ADD-INS
MUDDLED FRUIT: Soft fruits work best. A drink muddler is meant for this task (the kind they use to muddle fruit in glasses for mojitos), but you can also place fruit in a bowl and break it up with a fork or use a mortar and pestle to gently break apart fruit. These fruits are well-suited for the task:
● Ripe nectarines or peaches coarsely chopped
● Pitted cherries
HERBS: Here are a few of our favorite combinations – just chop coarsely and muddle with fruit before adding liquids.
● Mint + Watermelon
● Basil + Peach
● Rosemary + Grapefruit
● Sage + Blackberry
● Lemon verbena + ANYTHING!
● Cilantro + Lime + Honeydew
LIQUID BASE: Go for color and flavor.
● Herbal Tea – We love hibiscus for its gorgeous color and rich flavor. Steep four bags in a cup of boiling water to increase the density of flavor.
● Green Tea – Everything from matcha to yerbé mate, it’s all good. Be sure to select caffeinated varieties as the health-promoting flavonoids are destroyed during the decaffeination process.
● Lemon Tea – Add the rind from a lemon to 2 cups of boiling water. Simmer for 5 minutes then let sit to infuse.
● Ginger Tea – Peel and coarsely chop 2” piece of ginger and bring to a boil in two cups of water. Simmer for 5 minutes then let sit to infuse.
CITRUS: Squeeze in to finish and add some slices for visual impact.
● Splash of sparkling water – Everyone loves a little fizz!
● Cucumber – Nothing screams refreshing quite like cucumber! Just peel and process in a blender to purée. About 1/2 cucumber per drink works.
● Chia seed – Add chia seed to make a Chia Fresca! This seed holds more than 30x its weight in water and can help maintain hydration long after you have emptied your glass. Try adding 1 teaspoon to your glass and stir well. Let sit for 10 minutes before drinking.
● Stevia or a touch of honey for added sweetness